I am amazed when doctors claim that they have invented a procedure even though it has existed for years before. For example a surgeon claiming they invented cornea cross linking even though it was being performed in Europe for many years.
What gets me peeved is that some doctors use unproven technology and convince patients its the best. Snake oil sellers are an amusement till patients are harmed. So I decided to list some truths about keratoconous eye disease and cornea collagen cross linking.
The 10 Golden Truths about Cornea Cross Linking By Rajesh Khanna, MD a Keratoconus specialist.
- Keratoconus is a sight threatening disease. It involves the thinning and bulging of the cornea.
- Recent data suggests it may be more prevalent than 1 in 2000 people
- Cornea Collagen Cross Linking (CXL) is a proven and effective way to halt the progression of progressive keratoconus eye disease.
- CXL may be used to stabilize post lasik ectasia.
- Epithelium off Cornea cross linking is more effective than epi on cross linking.
- Conventional cornea cross linking – 3 mw for 30 minutes is the gold standard.
- Conventional cross linking is more effective than accelerated cross linking (18 mw or 30 mw). No other power setting is better.
- No studies have shown epi on cross linking to be more effective than conventional epi off cross linking.
- FDA has only approved Avedro KXL system/Photrexa for treatment of progressive keratoconus. No other system nor riboflavin compound has passed that litmus test.
- Avedro KXL/ Photrexa which treats at 3mw is currently safer and more effective than other currently available epi on choices in Los Angeles
I would invite comments by optometrists, ophthalmologists and peers especially keratoeonus experts.
Avedro KXL system in the hands of an experienced Keratoconus surgeon following FDA protocols would be safer than an unproven experimental epi on technology. We therefore offer Avedro cornea collagen cross linking with the FDA approved protocol.